March 14, 2011

It hurts so bad: The McDonalds couple



Who the hell wrote this script? I couldn't believe my eyes and ears when I first saw this one. The more it airs, the worse it gets. This story makes me cringe every time I hear him say "He's a jerk." Oh my...

What is wrong with this? The entire premise! Let's imagine a few different scenarios how this whole thing could have come to life:

PREMISE 1: This scene is supposed to be a reflection of reality
Well, I gotta tell you: It is not. It is wishful thinking. Look at the crowd at any given game-day (college hoops, NFL Sunday, MLB etc.), and watch the guys closely. Do you seriously believe they would act in this manner? I bet you they don't. Quite the opposite. I can hear that very crowd screaming at the tv-set "What a pussy!"

PREMISE 2: The guy is lying to avoid a fight
If so, then something is fundamentally wrong with the relationship of this couple. Does McD want men to lie about one of their passions? Doesn't he have the guts or brains to respond in a wittier way? I feel truly sorry for the actor who plays this part for making his character act so sad and gutless. And what about her? She comes across as quite bossy and condescending. Judging by the look on both their faces, this relationship is not a happy one. Can anyone imagine these two having a healthy sex-life? I can't.

PREMISE 3: The commercial's goal is to re-educate us men
Please. Does whoever wrote this script seriously believe that men will change who they are - men that is - and give up Sunday Football games (and there are only 16 in a regular season) for what? A walk in the park? A shopping trip to the mall? Please. Wake up. They don't even tell what the alternative to watching football is? Mc Donalds breakfast? How long does it take to get to the local McD - three hours? Game day starts at 1pm. That's lunch-time, not breakfast anymore.

Any way I try to look at it, it just doesn't add up. It is just very, very bad. Poorly constructed, and badly acted out. Someone should send the copywriter back to a 'concept'-class. Or have him (although I bet it's a SHE who wrote this) hang out in the target's group natural environment for a few hours to get a feel for reality.

This is just an awful commercial. Not even worth a the dollar (menu) they are promoting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...