March 2, 2011

The human billboard

















A few days ago, I saw this guy standing at the corner of 33rd Street and 7th Avenue, right in the middle of heavy Madison Square Garden / Penn Station foot-traffic flow. This is probably one of the most penetrated areas in terms of people per square foot per second, and after a while, you simply get used to all the communication noise in the area.

This guy however, when I first saw him from the side, looked like a street vendor, having the straps holding the sales tray wrapped around his shoulders. Coming closer, I discovered that he was actually a human billboard. Quite a clever folding construction, this thing could be packed up to suitcase format.

Still quite heavy it must have been. Poor bastard. Got my attention though. Stopped me mid-stride, and got people looking. The great advantage: I don't think this requires a license, since he's not setting up shop, but simply standing, with the ability to quickly move from corner to corner. Well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...