January 18, 2011

Hilarious! Old El Paso Flat Bottom Tacos



On a recent flight back to New York, I had a stop over in Detroit. Torn between two concession stands during lunch time, I decided to think outside of the box, and hit the Taco Bell. Three tacos soon came in a small bag, and as so often with finger fast food of this kind, I found myself trying to find a safe, non-saucy grip on the taco shells. That stuff just always ends up being messy, and as I took on the food challenge I thought to myself: why can't they serve these in some kind of mini racks, similar to those you find in hotels in England in the morning, each holding a selection of breakfast toast slices.

Then, just yesterday, while Rex Ryan's Jets were walking the walk against Bill Belichick's Patriots, Old El Paso presented the perfect solution to the taco dilemma - flat bottom taco shells. They didn't choose to go with the ancient, no-risk taking "NEW" and "INTRODUCING" approach though. Instead, they hit all the available nails on the head. This commercial feels 360 degrees well-rounded. It's great story-telling. It's relevant. It's simple. It's real. It's memorable. And it's funny as hell. I laughed pretty hard.

The amazing thing though is, they manage to do all this in 15 seconds. An introduction. A challenge. A solution. And we're only six seconds into it. It's all wrapped in a story that is cohesive from start to finish.

Too often brands waste twenty seconds drawing an analogy that has nothing to do with the product or the service, then focus a mere five seconds on trying to transfer the benefit to their product, before telling us what it's actually all about.

Kudos, Old El Paso. You are not my first choice when it comes to TexMex, but I'll certainly put you guys on my list again. Because that flat bottom is actualy quite a genius invention.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...