January 17, 2011

Super annoying: the Progressive girl



This woman just freaks me out. The Progressive commercial comes on, and while a Pavlovian reflex immediately makes me mute the TV, I am wondering how she ever made the cut in the casting sessions.

Grey did a solid job with its work for the insurance company. The visual identity is unique, and cohesive. The sometimes complex legalities of the insurance markets are broken down into small, digestible thirty second segments. Not too complicated, not too simplified. Just right. The visual environment is unique, and I can certainly see this whole story playing for years to come.

Just not with this woman please. I would love to know if there ever was a focus group testing, and what people had to say about her. I find this character quite annoying. Everything about her is just a bit too much. She's behaving like Mrs. know-it-all. She's in your face. She treats everyone else in these commercials like little, immature children.

I'm sure she was supposed to come across as somewhat funny, but it's not. Grey should have a rotation of different sales men and women, so none of them turns into the face of the brand, and the commercial keeps its focus on the product.

1 comment:

  1. She sucks. It's almost like they *wanted* Kathy Griffin but couldn't get her.

    In the world of TV car insurance Spokes-creatures, MAYHEM is my man right now.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...