January 11, 2011

Starbucks: Another logo redesign disaster?






















First The Gap, now Starbucks? What is it these days with major iconic brands feeling the urge to redesign their logos? Let's listen to the folks from Starbucks:

"Here we are today. Our new evolution liberates the Siren from the outer ring, making her the true, welcoming face of Starbucks. For people all over the globe, she is a signal of the world’s finest coffee – and much more. She stands unbound, sharing our stories, inviting all of us in to explore, to find something new and to connect with each other. And as always, she is urging all of us forward to the next thing. After all, who can resist her?" (Steve M., Senior Designer at Starbucks)

Wait a second? The Siren? I never knew there even was a siren. For me, there was always 'this woman' in the circle. I have neither heard of a siren, nor have I cared much about it. For me, Starbucks was Starbucks was Starbucks. Coffee, first and foremost.

"She is a storyteller, carrying the lore of Starbucks ahead, and remembering our past. In a lot of ways, she’s a muse –always there, inspiring us and pushing us ahead." (Steve M. again)

Oh my, I find it fascinating when some people get lost in too much poetry to describe a product they are selling. No one's ever told me a story. I've never seen a lore of Starbucks. I never felt inspired. All I wanted was coffee.

So a new logo it is, obviously. The jury is still out on whether this was the right move or not. I am not sure it was. Yes, the new logo looks more contemporary and fresh, but the last one wasn't really bad. Neither was it outdated. Too much prominence now is given to the Siren. And to be honest, now that I know it's a siren, I don't really understand what she has to do with coffee? She lives in the water, no? Has a fishtail, no? Coffee, good coffee that is, grows in the highlands of Colombia, Costa Rica or Brazil, but not by the water. So why a Siren? I don't get it.

While she was in the circle, surrounded by the Starbucks name, it didn't matter. Now it does. But it doesn't make any sense. Furthermore, much more attention now is drawn to her boobs. She looks like one of those cover girls on Elle or Vanity Fair that are being photographed naked, with only the long hair covering the bare chest. Or is that just my male fantasy imagining things that aren't there?

Related links:
Starbucks official preview site

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...